Tuesday 22 December 2015

2015/08/12 Keith

Since the shark is back we were able to have some nice day trips (a bachelor party at Spa Francorchamps for example) but the problem of a blowing fuel pump fuse would re-occur every now and then and, as we all now- simply because there isn’t a good moment, always at the wrong moment. It’s a given fact that driving a Porsche is a reason to smile  but if you’re driving a full day with an ear to ear grin caused by a deceased fuel level gasket in the boot and an amount of fuel sniffing that would even take Keith Richards down, you know you’ve got problem to deal with.
After raising the shark up for the umpteenth time I have to drain about 50L’s of fuel, I guess there’s no need to mention this get’s the Keith Richards routine going again.


Despite the fuel sniffing my sight is still intact and the fuel pomp seems fine to me but then again, what can visibly be wrong with a grey cylinder. 


This grey cylinder can run hot when any of the two filters is gummed up so next up is a visual inspection of the in-tank filter.  If I had done some proper research on this subject I would have known better but since I didn’t, I’m making an attempt at unscrewing the in-tank filter. This mistake almost makes me go fuel sniffing again, the fuel filter does come out but it brings along a close friend: the metal collar. 




Somehow it does makes sense: The 928 is one of Porsche’s intelligent designs but combining a metal collar with an aluminum filter and screwing this combo in a plastic tank?
This has got to be a Monday morning design, invented after a weekend of heavy drinking or even worse: a weekend of fuel sniffing.
I hope I can end the endless caress and bathe the romantic couple in Wally’s brew. 





No comments:

Post a Comment