Sunday 19 July 2015

2015/04/06 The holy trinity

When I was removing the transmission I couldn’t unscrew the filler plug and the drain plug. They were used just shortly before the removal but now all of a sudden they don’t move an inch. I have no idea what could be the cause of them being stuck but more important than finding the answer is finding a way to remove them. A screw extractor doesn’t cut it, even worse: it breaks.
I take a rounded file and as soon as I have a hole at the size of a decent bolt, I try to screw a bolt in in the opposite direction but the bolt breaks just as well.





Luckily removing the bolt is less difficult than removing the screw extractor. After a fair amount of drilling and filing and with the help of a Dremel I finally manage to undo the drain plug. 



The filler plug get’s the same treatment but it seems to be a harder material so it takes longer and it’s less willing to give in. In the end I have to saw a small slip into the remains of the bolt. A hammer and a chisel help to persuade the bolt to give in.
One more to go.






The last one is a small threaded rot. Wally’s brew, a vise grip, some anger and some power do the job. A job I was bit worried about but after 5 hours, a job done!




No comments:

Post a Comment